Sunday, October 21, 2007

Billy Rancher and the Unreal Gods

Billy Rancher and the Unreal Gods - Cameo Girl

I began studying dance at 11...jazz, modern, tap, ballet. I did a couple small shows through the years, but nothing big because I am not competitive and HATED auditions.

I kept it up through college where I had opportunities to study with African dance legends such as Anne Williams and Kariamu Welsh (my neck still hurts). Annagita ma Prem gave me spiritual training and inspiration, in Indian and Asian movement interpretation.

After getting kicked out of my student housing for having a jam session one night, I moved back home to Portland, to attend college there. I got my job back at Chucks Steak House the same week.

There, I met a new cocktail waitress who told me about an audition. I figured what the hell. I needed to face my audition jitters (thanks, Anne) and work on my courage. What's the worst thing that could happen anyway: rejection!

I drove in my bright-ass purple spandex work-out pants and leotard to a run-down residential neighborhood, double-checked the address, took a deep breath and wondered 'what the hell am I DOING?' as I walked around to the back of the house.

I relaxed a little when I heard the music, assured that I wouldn't be entering the wrong place dressed like I was. It was good music with a twangy guitar sound and a significant downbeat...wasn't wimpy at all...bold and fresh...not new wave or punk sounding like everything else at the time.

No need to knock, no one would hear me. As I rounded the corner at the bottom of the stairs, I saw the face, and smile, of an angel. His name was Billy Rancher.

No sooner did I smile back, when I felt a hand on my arm that twirled me around. Here was this gorgeous brunette dressed like me, and she yelled, "DO THIS." So, I copied her every move until the song was over. She threw her arms around me in a full-on hug and screamed.

The boys started another song. They all smiled at me as I again, copied her every move.

At that moment, I knew I had the part, and they knew that they had found the final member of the band. I had no idea what was in store for the next couple years, but I wanted to travel and it seemed a sight better than working at Chucks!

more another time

No comments: