Sunday, October 21, 2007

Karen...


Cyllycybin Doll Face Child - Billy Rancher and the Unreal Gods


Behind every good man is an amazing woman, and Billy was no exception. Billy and Karen met waiting in line at a Midnight Movie in Portland one summer night. Karen would be Billy's rock and center for the rest of his life.


All of us kids filled the theater every weekend, trying to find something entertaining and new to do. Among the many avant garde movies, they showed Rocky Horror Picture Show, Concerts such as Ladies and Gentlemen; The Rolling Stones and one particularly applicable movie, Just a Gigalo starring David Bowie.


Karen was my age and doing the same things as I was doing. She was in her first year of college too, she was not a party animal either and she was wholesome and down-to-earth. Billy wore more makeup than she did! Eventually, Karen and I became closer than Candyce and I...we just had so much more in common.


These two were inseparable and always hanging off one-another. Billy treated Karen like a china doll and always concerned himself with her comfort, well-being and safety. There was nothing those two wouldn't have done for one-another. Really, they were the Romeo and Juliet of the '80's!

1 comment:

BadlandsBabe said...

Celeste...What a great blog. I had the opportunity to check you guys out the Summer of '83 in Portland. I'm glad I did. Your show was awesome, you all radiated such great vibes & such high energy, it was contagious thru-out the entire crowd. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your heart felt memories & taking the time to write them down in such a way the reader feels it. While I'm saddened to learn Billy's time here was cut way to short, I'm happy for the opportunity's he gave & legacy that he left behind & the memories that only you few can actually say they were part of. I'm glad you went too the audition. A Go-Go Goddess for the legendary Billy Rancher & The Unreal Gods... What a story to tell & lastly, I hope that life has treated you well & Karen was able to somehow heal from such a devastating loss & find happiness in life. Signed, maybe the only Billy Rancher & The Unreal God's fan in New Mexico.